Just because Christmas is 2 days away, I figured I would share my top 10 Christmas movies (plus two honorable mentions). These are the movies, for the most part, that I watch every year.
1. The Muppet Christmas Carol – What’s better than Kermit as Bob Cratchett, Piggy as his wife, Michael Caine as Scrooge, and Waldorf and Statler as Jacob and Robert Marley? If it’s out there, I haven’t found it yet.
2. A Charlie Brown Christmas – Charlie Brown living through the holidays in his own melancholic way, and who can forget Linus’ monologue about the real meaning of Christmas.
3. It’s A Wonderful Life – Buffalo gals, won’t you come out tonight, George Bailey lassos the moon, and Jimmy Stewart scores a holiday win.
5. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation – Christmas Clark Griswold style. Cousin Eddie. Julia Louis Dreyfus. Snots the dog. Aunt Bethany’s grace. All I want for Christmas and a squirrel in a tree.
6. Rudolph, the Red Nosed Reindeer – Sure, we see Santa and the other reindeer abusing poor Rudolph, but it all works out in the end for the little guy.
7. Santa Claus Is Coming to Town – Fred Astaire and Mickey Rooney lend their voices to the story of how the guy in the red suit became the guy in the red suit.
8. A Christmas Story – Ralphie in the rabbit suit, Triple Dog Dare, and a Red Rider carbine action BB gun, wrapped up together with a provocative leg lamp. Make sure to label it FRAGILE.
10. The Polar Express – A children’s book that was magnified into a visually spectacular cinematographic display by Robert Zemeckis. Add a lot of Tom Hanks and dash of Aerosmith, and you’ve got a winning combination.
March of the Wooden Soldiers – Laurel and Hardy take on “Babes in Toyland”
Frosty, the Snowman – The back story to the beloved song.